The question that got me into Evangel Seminary




 by Newton-Ray Ukwuoma

I went to a seminary school for four years - Evangel Seminary Secondary School, Aba, Abia State. But I didn’t pass the entrance exam. It was a keenly contested entrance process. Parents joined their wards to cry if they (the wards) were denied admission, whereas it was the whole community that partied when a ward got an entrance into Evangel. Such was the reputation of Evangel Seminary in Aba - like the glory of Covenant University before word got out. Anyways, but I failed the entrance exam.
My dad already guessed the outcome of that exam even before he sent my mom to go with me. Dads know the child that would ‘fall their hand’ early (disgrace them) better than moms. My dad was a dad of his time.
Meanwhile, just as we were leaving the hall (which is now the chapel for those who know), my mom (may her soul Rest In Peace) took me by the hand and said some prayer. We were heading home at this time alongside other parents whose kids didn’t make it. It was a difficult walk from the hall to the gate. (Let me save you the painful detail of how other parents made us feel.)
As we walked towards the kitchenette very close to where the school tap is located (again for those who know) a teacher or some official called our parents back. They evidently had a few slots to fill and needed about 5 more kids. For a brief moment the sun was shining on me again, but in a split second it was eclipsed with another news. We were told that the process was going to take the shape of a brief essay and an interview session with the dean. I didn’t think my mom liked the idea of an interview. She knew me well. But we had only two options. So I wrote the essay and submitted it. It was about why I wanted to go to school. I don’t remember the content, but I remember the interview questions. I was 9 years old at this time.
The dean went first with the English language questions, I tried my best, and then he turned to Math questions and then asked me this particular question - “If you boil one egg for 5mins how long will it take to boil 15eggs at the same time?” You may have your own answer, but my answer surprised him and it evidently won the day cos it got me an handshake with the Dean and then an entrance into Evangel Seminary. The man sent for my mom. He had sent 20 kids home already for failing this question, he told my mom. He looked at me with some pride. I just want to thank God that at this time he hadn’t looked at my essay. All I can say is that I owe it to this guy - Nicholas Igbokwe.
If you attended Evangel Seminary at the time we did you will agree that Nicholas and Newton were hard to tear apart. We also had Festus Ifebor join us - together we became The Evangel Three! Shout to Nick! It was nice reconnecting after 19 years

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Invitation, Pictures of Bless and Newton's Wedding

Descendants of Foremost Slave Merchant Living in Cells He Built for Slaves