A Passionate Man's Letter to his Lover: Let this ship sail freely



Last night, I decided to think about the future. Our future. A big thing to do, right? You know how people ask people where their relationship was headed. Yea. I asked that sort of question. Not to you, of course. You are in Ibadan. I asked myself. And I will be frank, it was a little deeper than I had seen it. People should never ask that question, I am thinking. What do you think? Well, you will speak for yourself once you have read through. Relationships are sacred. Take the one we have for example. Lots of laughter and beauty and literature and love and peace. All the necessary ingredients of an electric connection.

But once you put future expectations into this flow, everyone becomes jittery, the voltage begins to fluctuate. The mind is not at rest, at peace, at unity. Something is happening to the transformers. They no longer transform wit to laughter and to love. Relationships like ours are sacred.

Last night, I gambled. I thought that if I was able to think about the future, I will somehow answer some of the questions lobbying for expression in your inner recesses. (This sentence has too many words. I don't know why I am not editing it.) Okay. Back. I failed to answer some of the questions, honestly.
Let me use one for example, the first question: where is this relationship heading to? Typical question. And should typical answer be marriage? I paused. Looked at the time. It was 1.23am. There is still time. I planned to rest at 3.00am. Well, I looked around to examine the evidence. It was really disturbing to begin marriage thoughts this early. So, what are you guys doing? I asked again. We are just loving and being loved. I answered. It didn't make sense. And this went on and on. No definite position.
That was when I realised that I have jumped ship. I was sailing in another boat. I was off course. My mind had become chaotic.I was defiling our relationship. I was quenching a fire. I noticed it. Then I came to my senses. By trying to define it, I was defiling it. It should be like a river flowing. Just flowing. That reminded me of your wisdom about living freely instead of orderly.

My memory of your past relationships came in strongly while I searched for the right conclusion. Honestly, this piece is getting too long. Long speeches are boring. Hope you're not bored. I don't know how to end this. But these are my expectations for now. I want to see you happy and loved. I would like to see you blossom and peak. I want to see the best of you and the best of me. I want this ship to sail freely.
What do you think?

Written by Newton-Ray Ukwuoma



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Descendants of Foremost Slave Merchant Living in Cells He Built for Slaves

Memoir: Perish the Thoughts of an Angry Young Man (Episode Two)